Temporary Structure Information

Memorandum – Special Hardship Cases

Temporary Dwellings & Rebuild/Restoration of Structure


Please see the following information as provided by the City of Mt. Juliet Planning & Zoning Departments in regards to Special Hardship cases cause by Fire, Explosions and/or Natural Phenomena/Disasters.  

The codes provided are in relation to Temporary Dwelling and the rebuilding of damaged or destroyed structures.  

Temporary Dwelling Regulations- 3-106.4.B

B.  Temporary dwelling unit in cases of special hardship. In any residential district, a temporary use permit may be issued to place a mobile home temporarily on a lot in which the principal structure was destroyed by fire, explosion or natural phenomena. The purpose of such temporary placement shall be to provide shelter for only the residents of the principal structure during the period of reconstruction and to prevent an exceptional hardship on the same. Placement of such temporary structure must not represent a hazard to the safety, health, or welfare of the community. An applicant for a temporary use permit as provided under this subsection must produce a written statement from the appropriate regulatory authority approving the water supply and sewage disposal systems of the temporary structure. Such a permit may be initially issued for nine months. A permit may be renewed for up to six months at a time, the total time for all permits not exceeding a total of 21 months.

Rebuild Regs- Non-Complying Structure

13-103.5 Damage or destruction of noncomplying buildings and other structures. In all districts, when any noncomplying building or other structure is damaged or destroyed such building or other structures may be restored provided that such restoration shall not cause a new noncompliance nor increase the degree of noncompliance existing prior to such damage or destruction.

For additional assistance, please contact the following departments:

Planning & Zoning –   (615) 773-6283

Instructions for Submitting Application for Temporary Dwelling/Structure

  • Please print and fill out this FORM
  • All forms must be submitted in person to the Planning & Zoning Department located at City Hall, 2425 N. Mt. Juliet Rd., Mt. Juliet, TN - Lower Level.