Is the grease trap I have adequate?
That depends on the discharge flow from the establishment and the amount of grease contained in the wastewater that discharges into the trap. The Universal Plumbing Code states that no grease trap should have a capacity less than 20 gallons per minute or more than 55 gallons per minute. City of Mt. Juliet requires all outside traps be at a minimum of 1,000 gallon trap and no single trap should be greater than 2,000 gallons (if larger is needed a series of traps may be accepted). Internal traps will need to be assessed based on the number of water generated fixtures it serves. The amount of grease in the wastewater can impact whether or not the establishment grease trap is able prevent grease from being discharged into the collection system.

The FSE may need to implement Best Management Practices (BMP) in managing the handling of fats, oils and grease. I don’t know if I have a grease trap? The first step is can you identify any under-the-counter containers where sinks and drains tie into? Check the plumbing drawing of the facility if available, to see if a grease trap is identified on the drawing. If you are still unsure you may wish to contact a plumber to assist you in tracing the discharge lines from the facility to see if they lead to a grease trap. Typically outside traps have manhole covers. Outside grease traps are typically close to the kitchen section of the facility.

Show All Answers

1. What is a grease interceptor/grease trap?
2. Why is grease a problem?
3. Do I need a grease trap?
4. Is the grease trap I have adequate?
5. What if I don’t have grease trap?
6. How can I become compliant?
7. What are the criteria for maintenance and securing my grease trap?
8. Who is responsible for inspecting my grease trap?
9. What if my grease trap is found to be noncompliant by City of Mt. Juliet inspector?
10. What is escalated enforcement?
11. What documentation must I maintain and for how long must it be maintained?