What are the criteria for maintenance and securing my grease trap?
For the in-ground outside grease traps, City of Mt. Juliet requires that traps be pumped at a minimum once every 90-days or more if necessary. Due to the nature of the Food Service Establishment (FSE) and the FSEs best management practices, more frequent pumping of the trap may be necessary or deemed necessary by the Pretreatment Department.

The entire contents of the grease trap must be removed, this includes all trapped fats, oils and greases, wastewater therein and solids. No waste, and/or wastewater from the pumping are to be reintroduced into the grease trap/grease interceptor. Owners/Users shall be responsible for ensuring that no waste, wastewater or solids pumped from the trap are reintroduced back in the trap. All grease traps must be secure and maintained by its owner/user in a manner that will prevent the introduction of any prohibited waste and any other unauthorized access. The owner/user will be responsible for any expenses related to securing the grease trap. City of Mt. Juliet requires that all under-the-counter grease traps be cleaned on a weekly basis along with maintaining a log to document this cleaning. Weekly cleaning will assist in ensuring the under-the- trap grease trap is functioning correctly and limit odors from emanating from the trap.

Pretreatment has a weekly under-the-counter grease trap form located within the Grease Control Program document found on our website. No waste removed from the under-the-sink trap should be disposed of via the sewer system. FSE with under-the-counter grease traps should utilize the, Weekly Under-the-Sink Grease Trap Disposal Log. These logs are located within Grease Control Program policy.

All manifest of pumping events must be maintained. All these records should be maintained and accessible for review by this office for a minimum of 1 year.

Show All Answers

1. What is a grease interceptor/grease trap?
2. Why is grease a problem?
3. Do I need a grease trap?
4. Is the grease trap I have adequate?
5. What if I don’t have grease trap?
6. How can I become compliant?
7. What are the criteria for maintenance and securing my grease trap?
8. Who is responsible for inspecting my grease trap?
9. What if my grease trap is found to be noncompliant by City of Mt. Juliet inspector?
10. What is escalated enforcement?
11. What documentation must I maintain and for how long must it be maintained?